Wisdom is a woman. Folly is a woman too. The book of Proverbs tells us so.
Folly...now there is a word we don't use anymore, though we know her ways well. She is the foolish woman. Many pretend there are no longer any foolish women--lauding all as though women are the true sages. As if there is no wrong way, or that all of a woman's paths lead to glory--simply because she is a woman.
Wisdom on the other hand is a word asserted and owned all the time, yet strangely the culture does not follow her ways. Instead it rejects wisdom and calls IT foolishness.
Proverbs 8 and 9 lay down a listing of God's wisdom and the world's folly. Each is personified as a woman. In the self-proclaimed days of The Woman, where do our hearts align?
Wisdom is a Woman
(a partial list from Proverbs 8):
- She calls out, raising her voice at the highest point, where the paths meet, She takes her stand
- She calls out to the people. She raises her voice to all mankind
- saying "You who are simple gain prudence"
- She has trustworthy things to say
- She opens her lips to speak what is right
- Her mouth speaks what is true
- Her lips detest wickedness
- She hates pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech (they are far from her)
- Counsel and sound judgment are hers
- She has insight
- She has power
- She loves those who love her and those who seek her find her
- Her fruit is better than fine gold
- Blessed are those who keep wisdom's ways
- Listen to her instruction and be wise
- Do not disregard it
- Blessed are those who listen to her; watching daily at her doorway
- For those who find her find life
- They receive favor from the Lord
- But those who fail to find her harm themselves
- All who hate her love death
Folly is a Woman
(a list from Proverbs 9)
- She is an unruly woman
- She is simple and knows nothing
- She sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point, calling out to those who pass by--who go straight on their way.
- "Let all who are simple come to my house!"
- "Stolen water is sweet" she proclaims
- "Food eaten in secret is delicious" she whispers
- But little do they who follow her know that the dead are there with her
- Her guests are deep in the realm of the dead.
Which woman do we listen to? Both of them cry out with a message. Both of them draw others to themselves. Both of them offer promises. Which woman do we follow? Which woman are we?
May God give us discernment to know our own hearts and actions and to follow the path that leads unto true life through Jesus Christ our Lord. God is the author of wisdom and we can only gain it through Him.
Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds! Matthew 11:19
In Christ' love, erika