The Voice of the Martyrs recently published a list of suggested prayers for those who are suffering and dying for Christ's name. They encouraged others to pass it along. If you would like, you may print a hard copy here.
10 Ways to Pray for our Persecuted Family
1. Pray that persecuted believers will sense God's presence.
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
2. Pray that they will feel connected to the greater Body of Christ
1 Corinthians 12:20, 26
As it is, there are many parts, but one body.... If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
3. Pray that they will experience God's comfort when their family members are killed, injured or imprisoned for their witness.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.
4. Pray that they will have more opportunities to share the gospel.
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.
5. Pray for their boldness to make Christ known.
And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.
6. Pray that they will forgive and love their persecutors.
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
7. Pray that their ministry activities will remain undetected by authorities or others who wish to silence them.
But his followers took him by night and lowered him in a basket through an opening in the wall.
8. Pray that they will rejoice in suffering.
The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.
9. Pray that they will be refreshed through God's Word and grow in their faith.
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
10. Pray that they will be strengthened through the prayers of fellow believers.
But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
In Christ's love, Erika